Apr 15

Fri '11

Struggling

Augh, I have really been struggling for the last month and a half with my weight. Specifically since I reached Lifetime with Weight Watchers. It felt absolutely wonderful to have finally reached that point. I achieved the goal I have wanted for so long. It was also a huge “weight” off my shoulders. But I seem to have used it as an excuse to stop watching my weight as closely. I mean not entirely, but I have definitely floundered since then.

We went to Seattle right after I achieved lifetime membership and a lot of cheating ensued. That was expected and accepted because it was my celebratory vacation for all my hard work. But it seems like ever since we’ve been back, my diet and exercise regimes have still been on vacation. WHY!?

I know it’s a lifestyle change and not a diet. I know I can’t go back to the way I used to eat. I know I have to work out each day to maintain a healthy life. I just can’t bring my mindset back properly. My body and my head are not communicating properly together.

I DON’T want to gain my weight back. It’s such a huge accomplishment that I don’t want to just throw out the window.

I am finding myself making excuses to skip the gym. And when I finally do make it to the gym, I work out for 1/4 of the time I used to. I just can’t stay focused. I used to always make sure I have a book or some tv shows to watch and I still do that, but they just don’t keep my attention like they used to. I don’t understand it. It is definitely all in my mindset. I HAVE to get my head back in the game. I have to keep my lifetime membership and my weight loss accomplishments.

I am going for my first weigh in with WW on Tuesday since March 1 and since reaching lifetime. And I know I will be up at least 7lbs since my last weigh in. Which means that I have to pay again. Which means, that I “lose” my lifetime status until I am back within 2lbs of my goal weight. I am so embarrassed. My leader is going to be so disappointed in me. Hell, I am so disappointed in me. I have been stressing about it for the past month and a half and yet, I haven’t changed my bad habits. I am still eating poorly and working out poorly. :sick:

I’ve had plenty of time to lose that little bit of extra weight that I gained while in Seattle, but I just haven’t. And time is running out. There is no way I will lose that weight before April 30, what with Easter, my cooking classes and other events coming up in the next 2 weeks. So it’s time I face the music and own up to what I have done. I just hope that I will be able to properly get back on the wagon. AND STAY THERE. I don’t want this to happen again, month after month.

I think I just need to make sure I track my points in my journal and no matter what, weigh in once a week. Even though, with lifetime, I only need to weigh in once a month, I should do it every week. It’s a way to keep me on track and dependable. I am also going to ask my leader to check my points journal every week so that I have a good excuse to keep up with my tracking. There will be NO EXCUSES.

Another thing to work on is I have to stop making excuses for the gym and just GO!! I wish the weather was better outside so that I could do some more running and biking outside. That always makes me happy and energized. Unfortunately, it’s the middle of April and we are still getting snow. :{ It makes me not want to exercise even more.

So I just need to adjust my attitude and everything should fall into place. It is going to be a battle for the next little while, but I am completely confident that I will make it back to the winning track. :oops:

Filed under: Personal, Weight Watchers

9 Responses to “Struggling”

April 15, 2011 @ 8:59 am

Oh Carolynne I know EXACTLY how you feel! This is a very similar situation I have been struggling with for quite some time, especially since my honeymoon.

When I was gaining/hitting plateaus, one of my meeting leaders would have us take home the “Magic Tracker” – it’s magic because you lose weight by tracking everyday (haha DUH). But because it was a “group tracker” (a different person would take it home each week and it was announced in front of everyone at the meeting) we’d be held more accountable to REALLY track.

It’s tough to adjust the attitude, believe me. But we’ll get through it! :)

April 15, 2011 @ 9:18 am

Oh my goodness! I LOVE the idea of the magic tracker. And since it’s read out in front of the whole group, you can’t make an excuse to not track in it all week or else you will be really embarrassed! I should suggest that to my leader!!

• Holly —
    April 15, 2011 @ 11:35 am

Wow. I can really relate. I have been struggling with 15 lbs for over a year and need to lose at least 100lbs. I go good for a couple of weeks then fall off the wagon.
    But you did so well. I am sure your family and friends are very proud of you.

• Biz
    April 15, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Hang in there – maintaining I think is more difficult than losing the weight. Maybe do something completely different, like bike riding – or schedule to work out with someone.

My new mantra is “It’s Not An Option.” Meaning, it’s not an option to go to the gym, I just have to go.

Hope you have a great weekend!

April 16, 2011 @ 4:19 am

I actually think staying within 2lbs of your goal weight sounds extremely difficult :unsure: My weight probably goes up and down more than 2lbs every month because of “normal body functions”. I think everyone has ups and downs like that! But the important thing is that you know what and why you’ve gained a little weight, and also know what to do to balance it out again. It’s difficult, but not impossible :D It’s been a challenge for over a year, and it will most likely stay challenging for just as long, while your body adjusts to the new you. I know you can do it, look at what you’ve achieved so far ;-)

April 16, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

maintaining weight is harder than losing weight. Calories in/calories out isn’t an exact science.
    To me the hardest part of working out though is actually getting dressed and doing it. Once I get going, it’s easy unless I haven’t eaten enough or I’m sick or tired.
    No use beating yourself up over it, just do it! :P No one’s ever regretted a workout, which isn’t totally true, but ya know, most of the time.

• Penny
    April 17, 2011 @ 10:38 am

I completely understand the embarrassment you feel. Last month I wanted to make it down to 160, which I did, and this month I wanted to get down to 155, which I was /doing/ but now I am almost back up to 160 again. I’ve got two more weeks to get down to this month’s goal weight, but I’ve been eating so sloppy and making so many gym excuses that I’m afraid I’m not going to be able to do this.

I agree with the commenter right above me who said the hardest part is getting dressed and doing it. I’ve always said something very similar to this. I always say that the hardest part is tying up my shoes, and it’s true! Once I get to the gym I’m always glad I went. It’s just hard to remember that when the couch is so comfortable and I want to watch television with my husband.

I also like the “it’s not an option” mantra above. I think I will start using this as my own personal mantra when it comes to tying up my shoes and getting going!

Wishing you luck, please keep us updated.

• Holly
    April 19, 2011 @ 10:58 pm

Good luck getting back on track! :)

May 1, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

I hope you’re doing well and hopefully enjoying some better weather! Happy May! (Or something :razz: ) :grin: