Sep 5

Mon '11

Fence On Fire

I awoke around 4AM this morning because I heard a strange crackling sound. We sleep with our window open and so I look out our window and I see that the fence between our house and our neighbour’s on our right is ON FIRE!!! I quickly grab my phone and call 911. It was the first time I have ever had to call the emergency line. It was really very scary, actually. As I was on the phone with the fire department, someone starts banging on our front door and ringing our doorbell. It’s our neighbour from our left side waking us up to tell us there was a fire. He quickly ran next door and woke up the neighbours on the right (whose fence was on fire). Meanwhile, Peter is outside with the hose trying to get the fire under control. The neighbours on our right get their hose out too and are attacking the flames. Not even 5 minutes later the fire department showed up. We had gotten the fire under control, but the fire department made sure that it was fully out.

It was one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. Luckily there was no damage to our property, except for the fence. It was about 3 feet away from Peter’s car, but except for a tiny little bit of melted window rubber, it was okay. The fire wrecked the neighbour’s blow up pool and their deck and lawn chairs, but nothing major was damaged. The fire could have been so much worse!!! :{

The fire department thinks that the fire was accidental and not arson. Our neighbours had had a campfire last night, but it’s weird because their firepit is on the opposite side of the lawn from where the fire was. They said they let it die down completely too. But who knows, the wind could have blown a tiny ember and that’s all it takes. It could also have been caused by one of those citronella candles that you stick into the ground that the neighbours forgot to blow out. Who knows. I sure hope that the neighbours have house insurance and that everything will be taken care of.

I just THANK GOODNESS that our portable tent garages were blown away in the winter. The damage would have been 1000x times worse because those tent garages would have ignited as they sat up against the fence that caught fire. Our cars would have been toast.

Needless to say, I didn’t get back to sleep. I had to get up at 5:45AM for work anyway. So I am one tired girl. It was exhausting, both mentally and physically. Wow. Someone was definitely watching over us this morning.

Here are some pictures. I was shaking and it was dark, so the quality kind of sucks!
The fire as it looked when we first discovered it:

Fence on Fire

The fire after Peter and the neighbours almost got it out:

Fence on Fire

The arrival of the fire department:

Arrival of the Fire Department

The aftermath:

Fire Aftermath

Filed under: Danger, House, Outside



6 Responses to “Fence On Fire”

  • Cathrine
    September 6, 2011 @ 6:27 am

    Oh goodness, I’m glad nothing worse happened! I would be so scared :O

  • Hev
    September 6, 2011 @ 8:27 am

    Well, you were wanting something exciting to happen, weren’t you? Doesn’t this count? Just kidding. I am so glad nobody was hurt.

  • Caity
    September 6, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

    Oh my goodness that is so scary! I have never had to call an emergency number and I hope that I never do. I bet I would have been totally scared, as well. It sounds like you kept your cool and did the right thing. Good job!

  • Lissy
    September 6, 2011 @ 7:02 pm

    holy crap! glad the damage wasn’t bad though

  • Terin
    September 7, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

    Oh wow! That is such a scary feeling. Glad that it wasn’t any worse.

  • Erica
    September 10, 2011 @ 9:06 am

    Wow that’s awfully terrifying! I’m so glad you heard it and were cognitive enough to get up to do something. I think if I heard that crackling sound you described I would have worked it into my dream somehow, which I have a way of doing for strange noise while i’m sleeping.

© Carolynne 2002-2016 / HTML5 & CSS3