Mar 3

Sat '12

End of an Era?

I am seriously considering closing all of the fanlistings that I own. I have been with the fanlisting community now for over 10 years and I have seen myself drift further and further away from it. I am just not as interested in them as I used to be. Plus, the community has definitely lost many members over the past couple years. I have seen member after member close all of their listings. I always thought they were crazy. I knew that I would never give up some of my most precious listings. But now, I am considering it. What is wrong with me?! I just don’t spend as much time taking care of them as I should. I have different priorities these days. I don’t neglect them, but I don’t update the layouts or content or anything.

At the height of my obsession with fanlistings, I owned over 100. Now I am down to 25 listings for subjects that mean “the most” to me. But again, some of them just don’t float my boat anymore. I even bought domain addresses for 3 of my listings. It is also going through my head that when it is time to renew the domains, I would just let them expire and move the fanlistings back to the JLM server. Ah, who knows what I will do.

It is kind of sad to think of a fandom ending. The fanlisting community has been part of my life for a long time. It will be hard to part from it. I think that I will still keep my joined listings, so I won’t leave the community completely, yet. Baby steps.

Have you ever had a fandom that has been part of your life for awhile that you have let go?

Filed under: Fanlistings, Personal
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to “End of an Era?”

March 3, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

I’m surprised you maintained interest for as long as you did. I lost interest so long ago. I think the last time I was active with fanlistings was a couple domains ago, like back in 2005. Ah well sometimes we just grow out of these things, ya know?

March 4, 2012 @ 2:00 am

I’m just the same. I’m only down to 7 though, ones that really do mean a whole lot to me. But I’m not as interested anymore, and it’s a weird mix of “I love these so much and I fought for them and they’re my little babies” and “I feel guilty for not doing anything with these and maybe I should put that part of my life behind me”. I’m not active in the community anymore either, so my fanlistings are sort of just sitting there, living their own lives. So difficult! :S

• Jessica
    March 4, 2012 @ 11:36 pm

I’ve never owned a fanlisting. :( Although, I’ve set aside a domain for if I ever do get one…LOL However, it seems that interest is waning in them which means that I may come up with something else to use the domain for. :D

However, I agree with the others when they say that sometimes we just grow out of things. :)

• Charity
    March 5, 2012 @ 3:17 am

I still have 4 fanlistings, but I agree, interest in them is definitely waning. I haven’t had a new member to any of my listings in several months – and when I mention fanlistings to people they laugh and tell me how “old” they are.

I keep the four I have around because I love the subjects (although one I might let go now that I don’t watch pro-wrestling anymore) – but I have considered letting them go because TheFanlistings.org can be a real pain in the butt to deal with at times. :P

• Meg
    March 5, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

I am feeling the same way you are with fanlistings! I don’t really want to let them go but there really is no interest in them anymore. It makes me sad because like you they were such a large part of my ‘internet’ life!

• Georgina
    March 6, 2012 @ 3:06 am

Faaaanlistings! :D I used to have so many, and I actually haven’t been into fanlistings very long. Only since early 2009. I’ve been joining them since 2005, though.

I actually recently cut down as well. I had 100+ (haha!) and now I have 43. :) I think I really cut down a lot. I’ve seen a lot of people leave fanlistings, and it’s sad seeing them give up something that once meant a lot to them, but after all they are just fanlistings. I couldn’t imagine myself giving up any but just like you, I felt like cutting down and keeping my most precious ones. I’m glad you’re keeping BTTF though, you’ve been such a fantastic owner and that’s one of my wishlisters – it’s just good to see it’s been loved for so, so long. <3