May 14

Mon '12

Job Search

I applied for two web designer jobs on Friday. Although, I noticed that the posting for one of them has disappeared off of Kijiji, so it may not be available any more. None the less, I actually took the leap and applied for the jobs. It feels good. Sure, it makes me nervous, but it’s a step in the right direction.

Please don’t misunderstand me, I love my current job. I have wonderful co-workers and great customers. I make pretty great money and the hours are wonderful. If I want a vacation, I book it off and that’s it. I have complete flexibility. Since I have been with the company for almost 12 years, I also have a fair bit of seniority when it comes to shifts. I have pretty much the same shifts that I have been working for years and there is very little chance they will be taken away from me. However, I do not want to be a server at a restaurant my entire life. I can’t imagine being 75 and still having to work because I don’t have a proper pension. That scares the hell out of me. Yes, I am putting money away every pay cheque, but I still fear that won’t be enough.

I went to school last spring to take web design. I learned a lot and it reassured me that web designer is something I would really like to consider as a career. So why haven’t I applied for more web designer jobs? The honest answer is that I am scared. I’m terrified to leave what I have come to know and love for the past decade. I am so comfortable with the way my life is right now. Change can be a scary thing and if I get another job, there will be so many changes.

Well I guess I will see how it goes with these two applications and if, in a couple weeks, I haven’t heard anything, I will look for more jobs to apply for. I think it might finally be time to move on.

Filed under: Personal, Work
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “Job Search”

• Aisling
    May 14, 2012 @ 9:29 pm

I’ve been a professional web designer for about a year (+ freelancing and my internship of course) and I LOVE it. I wasn’t really a fan of my past retail jobs, but I did like the people and flexibility and whatnot… but I am pretty sure I like more money and paid vacations more. I’ve travelled much more in this past year than I was able to when I was a student or working elsewhere. Some aspects are hard but I really can’t stress how much I enjoy curling up at my desk with a cup of tea, opposed to standing for 8 hours and running around (I can still run around the office or go for a walk at lunch, so it’s the best of both worlds– plus I can wear slippers, haha).

So, yes, good luck with the job search! I hope you find something because it is really great. I will keep an eye out and let you know if I hear of anything coming up!

• Charity
    May 14, 2012 @ 10:50 pm

I’m currently going to school for web design and I think the biggest issue I have with it is being scared I won’t be good enough! I suppose I just need to start doing the work and then getting my portfolio together so I can start applying for jobs when I graduate!

May 14, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

If you’re scared, you might want to start small and get comfortable with freelancing before going with a design firm. That’s what I did. Plus the experience will help a lot. I know in my area there are a lot of internships available, so that might be a good thing to look for as well. Start small and figure out what you like. Once you’re comfortable then take a bigger leap. :)

• Kimm
    May 16, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

It doesn’t hurt to apply anywhere and everywhere, some small/big firms might want to take you now and help you grow as a designers .. You just never know..

Good Luck

May 17, 2012 @ 6:47 am

Change is always scary, but I’ve learned to push myself out of my comfort zone – it’s how I get better! :D Good luck, I’ll cross my fingers that you find the job you want :D

• Latrina
    May 19, 2012 @ 1:22 am

Change is never easy — but pursuing things you never thought you would often leads to something positive. Good luck on the jobs! :) I hope it works out for you. Web Design is fun & would definitely be a great field to work in. :)

• Holly
    May 19, 2012 @ 4:04 am

Good luck! I hope you hear good things back about the jobs! You’re right, it’s definitely a good start, even if you don’t end up getting either of those ones. :)

May 19, 2012 @ 8:19 am

Good luck! I know what you mean about not wanting to work in customer service or retail all your life. It’s not for me either. I’m sure you will find something doing what you love!

May 20, 2012 @ 7:58 am

I would think after being a server, nothing would be scary :D Having good coworkers is pretty important, so I can see not wanting to leave a job you know you like for the unknown, but I’m sure you’ll find a job you like even better :)