Tue '14

Let’s go way back

I went on an adventure last night. It was a nostalgic adventure. I decided to type my old blog address into archive.org to see what it would come up with. For anyone who doesn’t know what archive.org does, at random dates it uses automated systems to “crawl” various websites all over the internet and it archives what the website looked like on that particular date. It’s more than screencaps as well. I was able to click on links and view most of what my site had to offer over 10 years ago. I mean, I found posts and pages dating back to October 2002! At first, I was a little creeped out by the results. It is honestly scary to think that my domain, which has been off the internet since April 2004, still had remnants of it hanging around. Of course most of the images didn’t work, but some did and I thought it was absolutely fascinating by the end of the night.

So now I am wondering if I want to take all that I have found and add it to the current archives on this site. I am of two minds with this idea. First of all, it might be nice to have these memories and posts in a more permanent and easily accessible place. On the other hand, my old posts were complete crap. CRAP! I am not saying that I am a fantastic blogger now, but I have definitely matured and found better things to write about. Ugh, I wrote about things a typical 15 year old would write about. I am embarrassed at some of the stories I put down onto the blog. I can’t believe how boring I was and all the little things that amused me. Do I really want people to have access to those posts now that I am older and much more mature? I don’t know. I found that I swore unnecessarily and looking back now, I have no idea why I wrote like that. I wasn’t afraid to talk about certain subjects that I probably should have kept hidden. I was a little too open and revealing, if you ask me. Ah.

However, there were some cute stories that I had a great time remembering. For example, I was blogging before I met Peter, but then I also blogged after we started getting together more and more. It was so neat reading what I wrote about as our relationship progressed and became something a little more serious than “boyfriend/girlfriend.” It was so awesome to reminisce and live these memories over again. One thing I read is something that I want to share right now. It’s about how I felt about Peter shortly after we started dating. It’s from a post on November 25, 2003, which is a couple months after we decided that we were “together.” Someone asked me a question about breaking up and my answer followed.

• Hey Carolynne! How long do you think you’ll be with Peter? And if you break up, how heart broken would you be?

*waves* Hello! Ah, seriously, I hope I will be with him forever. I know that might sound really puppy love-ish, because I am only 16, but that is what I believe. I am the type of person who would do something like that too. When it comes to stuff like this, I am not one to play around and have a million different boyfriends. Oh god, I don’t even want to think about if we break up. I would be completely heart broken. I bet I would be locked up in my room for days. It would definitely take a lot to move on. With all that we have gone through, it would be difficult to forget about him.

It just goes to show that I knew back then that we were meant for each other. Look at us over 10 years later and happy as the first day we met. Love really can last!

Anyway, what do you think? Should I add those posts to this blog or just let them rest forever on archive.org?

Filed under: Internet, Love, Website
Tags: , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “Let’s go way back”

January 29, 2014 @ 12:50 am

Hahaha, I had to do the same after reading this! My archive dates back to October 2002 as well, wow. Getting to know my 14-year old self again was both amusing and made me cringe ;)

I’ve kept all my posts from 2003 up until today, but older posts are set to private. I like to keep old posts, but I won’t ever make them public again, those chapters of my life are in my past and should stay there :)

It’s probably completely different for you as you seem to have a lot of happy memories in that archive? I would definitely save them one way or another, and if you add them to your blog you can always choose what to keep public and private :)

I really like what you did in this post – pick out something and write about what you think and feel about it today :D

January 29, 2014 @ 1:57 pm

I have a private blog that no one else can see except for me where I keep things archived my purposes but so the internet can’t see them. So maybe if you want to keep your own ‘pensieve’ that might be the way to go. Just set up a subdomain, import your entries, and set all the posts to private.

January 29, 2014 @ 3:53 pm

I love that you call it a pensieve :) So appropriate! Great idea.

January 30, 2014 @ 5:13 pm

I am of the mind to keep it on archive.org. That way it’s there for you to personally reflect on (or show to friends while drunk! hah!) but not in an easily-findable spot for all your visitors. I personally wouldn’t post some of the old stuff I used to make, how embarrassing would that be considering that I’m a legit, professional web designer now? The horror!

January 30, 2014 @ 5:19 pm

Oh my god I just looked at archive.org myself and found blog posts from 2002. Definitely NEVER bringing any of that stuff to modern light. D:

• Kirsten
    January 30, 2014 @ 5:35 pm

I had to try it myself. I found a domain I owned in 1997 and another in 2001! I would have been 17 and 21 roughly. Unfortunately for both it was just main index page that lead to pop ups of stuff. None of them worked for either domain. It’s cool to try though!

• Agent Q
    January 30, 2014 @ 11:04 pm

I liked that little post right there. It was cute and made me go “aww” because reminiscing about love makes me feel fuzzy on the inside. And you’re hearing this from someone who was dumped about 7 months ago. Doesn’t change the fact that the moments were wonderful. No bitter aftertaste for me either, so it’s all good. :)

I’d say, it’s totally up to you. Sometimes it’s fun to look back and maybe even poke fun at the stuff we wrote in the past. Doing so really brings us into perspective on how we’ve changed over the years, after all.

January 31, 2014 @ 4:46 am

Oh god, the Wayback Machine… I tried it on my site and was hit by a wave of both nostalgia and shame. So many old sins on display, haha!

You should definitely save your old posts somehow, just like old paper diaries they can be fun to read later in life! Either do as Cristina suggested and have a private blog set up somewhere, or you could import them here into their own category marked “old posts” or “ancient history” or something. :)

January 31, 2014 @ 11:57 am

haha, I remember using archive.org before. I still have files from my old websites, and I don’t look at them because it’s kind of embarrassing. For me, the past stays in the past!

Wow, you guys have been together a long time! That’s awesome :D That must be fun to look back on memories from the beginning of your relationship. Your answer to that question is so cute :D

I personally wouldn’t want my old posts on my current blog, haha. That’s only because I don’t like the way I wrote before. You should save them though!

• Kim
    January 31, 2014 @ 1:33 pm

I’ve been on that website before, it has all the old versions of ny website/blog and my Buffy fan site! I think you should keep them in some capacity, like others have said as private posts, perhaps?