Feb 8

Sat '14

The Big Apple

Something unbelievable has happened. I am still trying to wrap my head around it. The time has come and after 26 years of loving theatre, finally, I am going to NEW YORK CITY!!!! This is what I’ve been doing for the past few days:

Happy Dance
Happy Dance

It is no secret that I love Broadway and it would be a dream come true to travel to New York to see some real live Broadway theatre. I’ve mentioned it many times before (for example here and here) and my dream is becoming a reality.

My Mom has a business conference trip planned for the end of June and it will take place in Bethlaham, PA. She will be less than a 2 hour bus ride away from The Big Apple itself. Talk about temptation! After much consideration, we have made the decision to go together for our first trip to NYC. I will meet her at the end of her conference in NY and we will stay there for 7 days!!!!! I honestly have no words to describe how I am feeling. I can’t even talk about it without smiling. This is seriously my dream vacation coming true!

Happy Dance

I realize I have been on plenty of vacations in the last few years, yet I haven’t made the effort to go to NYC. I think the reason why it hasn’t actually happened is that I am scared. Scared that I won’t be able to control myself. I would spend way too much money on Broadway shows because I wouldn’t be able to pick only a couple. I’d want to see all of them. We have already been looking at theatre schedules and have come to the realization that we have the possibility of seeing 10 shows! TEN! That is a lot of Broadway delight. Thank goodness they perform matinees because that means we can see two shows in one day if we want to. So much for not going out of control.

Some of the shows that will be playing while we are there and that I want to see are If/Then, Rocky the Musical, Cinderella, Aladdin, Phantom of the Opera, The Realistic Joneses (starring Michael C. Hall), Just Jim Dale, The Cripple of Inishman (starring Daniel Radcliffe). Others to consider are Kinky Boots, Matilda the Musical, Les MisΓ©rables, Newsies, Pippin. Although I have already seen them before, I would also love to see The Lion King, The Book of Mormon and Mamma Mia again. Although I am seeing them all again within the next year anyway. Score one for traveling Broadway shows! Anyway, my Mom and I will talk and try to narrow down our choices. Then we’ve got to decide if we should buy our tickets online beforehand or risk it until we get to NYC. Buying beforehand will be super expensive, but I also don’t want to arrive in NYC and be unable to see a show I want. That would be so disappointing. Any advice on buy Broadway tickets?

Besides attending loads and loads of theatre, I don’t really know what else we will do in NYC. I would love to take a stroll in Central Park, visit the World Trade Center memorials, go up the Statue of Liberty, see the flashy lights of Times Square and of course eat at some of their world famous restaurants. My Mom and I aren’t ones to buy ridiculously expensive clothing or shoes, so I don’t know if we will be doing much shopping. I’d like to buy some touristy things, but I’m not really interested in what 5th Avenue has to offer.

We are currently trying to find a nice hotel to stay at that is in Manhattan near the theatre district. Of course, they are all very expensive, but we think that it is worth the money to be right in the middle of everything. There are some good deals around and a lot of options to choose from. It’s hard to decide where to stay when there are so many choices.

So does anyone have any suggestions for what to do in New York City? Or where to eat? Or what shows to see? Or what hotel to stay at? Any kind of suggestions would be wonderful. I would love to hear some stories from anyone who has been to NYC!

Happy Dance

Filed under: Theatre, Travel
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “The Big Apple”

February 10, 2014 @ 8:04 am

you make me feel so lame πŸ™ I live minutes away from the city, but only see a show maybe once every couple of years πŸ™ They’re so expensive though! My mom bought my dad tickets for Kinky Boots which we’re seeing in March, but they were like $150 each X( I’d love to see Book of Mormon. I should just do it.

if you do tkts the morning of, you definitely won’t be able to see anything you want. Mostly likely have your choice of like Phantom, Les Mis or Mamma Mia, though if you get there early enough you might get luckier. If there’s something you definitely want to see, buy the tickets ahead of time.

For hotels, my recommendation would be to stay in Jersey and take the train in every day, but I’m cheap like that πŸ™‚ I stayed at Park Central Hotel for a school trip once, er, ten years ago. That place was pretty nice.
    There are really too many good restaurants in the city. Stay away from places like Jekyll and Hyde (one of the worst dining experiences of my life) and eat a lot of pizza πŸ™‚ Oh, there’s a restaurant with really good burgers and cheap drinks in Times Square, um, oh, Dallas Bbq. I like that place. Very good veggie burger.

There are many museums if that’s your thing. Natural History museum never disappoints. I really like the wax museum, lol. Top of the Rock and Empire State are way overpriced with long lines – I’ve never done either. I haven’t been to the World Trade Center since well before 9/11.

Anyway, if you want to meet up one day, let me know! I’d make a terrible tour guide, but if you want to have lunch or something πŸ™‚

February 10, 2014 @ 9:53 am

AAAAAAAAAAH! YOU’RE GOING TO NEW YORK! YAY! πŸ˜€

Those GIFs actually made me laugh out loud πŸ˜€ I’m so happy for you, I hope the trip will be awesome! Can’t wait to read about it πŸ˜€

• Christine
    February 10, 2014 @ 12:55 pm

Awww, that’s so cool! You’re going to have such a blast. Might I make some suggestions?? I live less than 90 minutes away so we go a few times a year. Eat at Carmine’s if you can. Make reservations now!! It’s a delicious family style Italian restaurant. No dressy clothes or snooty ‘tudes required, :P. I also love the Hershey Store in Times Square as well as their Sephora because it’s huge. As for musicals, Phantom is excellent. I’ve seen it about four times and it gets better each time. The Sex Museum is a lot of fun, too (if your Mom is cool with stuff like that, lol) as well as the Natural History museum. Make sure you take a ride around central park, too! Enjoy!

February 10, 2014 @ 1:13 pm

Ahhh that’s so exciting! I saw Mamma Mia when I went there and it was awesome! You have to eat at Ellen’s Stardust Diner!

We did the Sex & the City Tour so we were able to do a lot of site seeing as well as seeing certain landmarks from the show/movies.

The line for the statue of liberty can be super long, but if you take the Staten Island Ferry back and forth you can get a really good view of it.

• Joy
    February 10, 2014 @ 3:33 pm

That’s awesome! I go to NYC often because I was born and raised there and My bestfriend still lives there. I hope you have loads of fun!

When are you going? Not being pushy or anything but I’d be willing to meet up with you of you’re interested.

I really hope you enjoy your vaca!

• Emmy
    February 10, 2014 @ 4:03 pm

Have fun! I went for the first time a couple of years ago and I’m DYING to go back!

• kathy @ vodka and soda
    February 11, 2014 @ 11:22 am

NYC is such a fantastic city!! there’s so much to do and see there. enjoy! you’ll have a blast πŸ™‚

-kathy | Vodka and Soda

• Kirsten
    February 11, 2014 @ 8:46 pm

Wow! I have always wanted to go to NYC. I have been in the state of New York but never to the city. I am so jealous!

As I have never been there but I have to say Rocky the musical, Pippin and Les Miserables would be my top picks for musicals.

I would love to go to Manhatten, Queens and all the places I read about in books. But I’m afraid from reading so much and my love of history, I fell in love with a NYC from another time. 1880’s, 1900-1930’s. So for me some of the museams and historic buildings would be high on my list!

Have fun!

February 11, 2014 @ 10:54 pm

That’s awesome that you’re taking a trip to NYC! Wow, that’s so many shows πŸ˜€ I saw Blue Man Group during one of my NYC visits and had no problems getting tickets while there. Not sure how it is with some of the more popular shows though.

I’ve been to NYC so many times, yet I always have issues giving recommends because I used to live there, haha. I feel like I didn’t do many touristy things. The museums are great though if you’re into that kind of thing. As for food…

If you like Chinese dumplings, try Joe’s Ginger or Joe’s Shanghai in Chinatown. They’re on the same street and Joe’s Shanghai always has a line but… Joe’s Ginger has the same menu and owner, so hop in there if Joe’s Shanghai is too busy πŸ™‚

I also loveeee Katz’s Deli. Their pastrami is amazing. It’s always packed, but I think it’s worth it. There’s also little dessert bars here and there that are fun to go to πŸ™‚

February 12, 2014 @ 12:15 am

Some tips to save $$$ on Broadway!

1) Sign up for Goldstar.com, tell it you live in NY. (If it asks for a zip code, use 10021.) They often have 50%+ off deals on shows, so check and check often! You can also have the site email you when new theater-related deals become available.

2) Download the TKTS app if you have an iPhone and use it to check which shows will be on sale that day. Get to the TKTS booth EARLY (there’s a few different ones, but the most central is the one in Times Square)β€”as in, before it opens! there will already be a line, I promiseβ€”if you see a show you want to get tickets to. Have a second option already in your head, too, just in case your first choice sells out while you are in line.

3) Tell me what shows you REALLY want to see and I can see if any of my connections can get you a discounted rate. πŸ˜‰

• Kim
    February 12, 2014 @ 12:37 am

!!!! Very happy for you! My dream is to visit New York one day, visit my family near there, see a show, do a lot of sight seeing… I’d love to go at Christmas.

Hope you have a fantastic time. πŸ™‚

• Grace
    February 13, 2014 @ 9:22 am

Oooo you’re so lucky!!! I love seeing musicals!! I just never have the money to go to Vancouver to see them as almost nothing comes to the island *poop*

I agree with staying in the middle of everything! That way it’s not a huge walk or car ride to where you want to go.