Mar 15

Sat '14

Faster than the speed of light

I have spent the last week and a half immersing myself in Grey’s Anatomy. My friend started watching it in September from season 1 and now she is in the middle of season 5. I watched the series years ago and now stay current with the latest episodes. Unfortunately I can’t remember too many details from the early parts of the show and my friend keeps asking me questions about it. I hate that I can’t remember. It’s also hard because I don’t want to spoil her with anything. I can’t be sure what events have or haven’t taken place yet.

So I made the decision to re-watch the series to keep up with my friend. Since she is already on season 5, I knew I had to some how watcher faster than normal. Therefore I have basically turned my room into a “man cave” and have been watching non-stop on my computer. The reason I am watching on my computer is so that I can watch at a faster speed. I am currently watching Grey’s at 1.92x speed and I am already on the third episode of season 5.

I have become pretty proficient at watching shows/movies at 1.5x speed, as the PlayStation 3 can play at that speed and still have proper audio. Reasons why I sometimes watch at this speed are: 1) So that I can watch more shows/movies in a day and 2) So that I can get through movies faster that I don’t like. It’s a really bad habit I have gotten into. I lose so much from a show when I don’t watch at normal speed. Those purposeful little pauses and specifically chosen music are lost at a faster speed. Also, now that I am so used to 1.5x speed, unfortunately sometimes I feel bored with a show when I am watching at normal speed. It’s sad, honestly. TOO MANY MOVIES, NOT ENOUGH HOURS IN A DAY!!!

Therefore, I have made a pact with myself that after I finish catching up with my friend on Grey’s Anatomy, I will never watch at 1.5x (or faster) speed again. If I don’t like a movie, after 20 minutes (the trial period), I will turn the movie off. Why sit through an entire movie that I don’t like anyway?! I am missing too many important things and I don’t like it. Time to get back to real time.

zv7qrnb

Filed under: Movies, TV

6 Responses to “Faster than the speed of light”

• Jessie
    March 15, 2014 @ 11:44 pm

I’ve never tried watching a movie/tv show at a faster speed. I get confused enough with some of them at normal speed. :P Grey’s Anatomy is definitely on my list of show’s to watch…I guess I really ought to get started.

• kathy @ vodka and soda
    March 16, 2014 @ 5:46 am

ha! i do the same. i fwd all the political speak during scandal which probably makes me miss some really important tidbits of info but i hate all that political talk!

March 16, 2014 @ 3:18 pm

it never would have even occurred to me to do that :D I like to savor my TV and if I’m bored, yeah, probably shouldn’t be watching it :P I skipped to the end of some recent Grey’s episodes from early this season. The last couple episodes have been better.

When Alex mentioned Izzie this week I was like, woah, that’s right, she used to exist, ha ha. I would probably need to rewatch the early episodes too. Ancient history.

March 16, 2014 @ 6:32 pm

I sometimes watch movies at a bit faster speed if the moving is rather boring and I just want to see what happens at the end.

I have never watched Grey’s Anatomy, though my Mom and Grandma use to watch it all the time. In fact, my 83 year old grandma told me one time that all that show was is “sex, sex, sex”. When I asked her why she doesn’t turn the channel she said “because I like it.”

March 16, 2014 @ 11:50 pm

Whoa, I’m amazed you can watch them at 1.92x speed. I don’t know if I could get used to that, haha. I agree with the too many movies and not enough hours in the day thing! I have a list of movies I’ve been meaning to watch, and I end up not watching many TV shows.

I think that’s a good idea to give a movie a trial period before turning it off. I wish I could take back time from all the bad movies I’ve seen, haha.

• Kirsten
    March 17, 2014 @ 10:44 am

Can’t say that I have ever watched TV or movies in faster then normal speed. I suppose I knew I could do it but it just never occurred to me to try lol. I love Grey’s Anatomy as well. I have multiple shows that I want to catch up on before getting cable in a few more months and was wondering how to catch up on all of them over the summer without talking early leave from work when they offer it (which I did today and it kills the paycheck!). I guess I am going to have to give that a try. I also have a “trial period” for movies and TV shows usually 20 minutes in a movies and 3-4 episodes of a tv show.