Aug 18

Mon '14

10 years ago

Does anyone remember what happened to me on August 13th ten years ago? No? That’s okay, it’s not something that would stick out in anyone’s mind but my own.

I was 17 years old and somewhat against my Mom’s wishes, my Dad took me downtown to get my first tattoo. As I was still under 18 years of age, I could not just go by myself to get it. I had been begging to get one for nearly 2 years. My Dad wanted to make sure that I was serious about my decision. To this day I still do not regret getting it. I treasure it and I love to show it off. It is nothing extravagant and it is something that will be meaningful to me my entire life. I have a modest maple leaf on my left shoulder. It symbolizes my Canadian pride and how much I love this beautiful country that I live in.

Maple Leaf Tattoo

I am not a huge fan of needles. I mean, who really loves them anyway!? I can tolerate them as long as I don’t look. So in support, Peter came with me and held my attention while the deed was being done. I had refused to look the while time. I really didn’t want to see the needle going in and out of my arm. Plus all the blood would probably freak me out.

A year later I went back to the same tattoo parlour again with my Dad to get his first tattoo. We both have the same colours for our tattoo, but his features the logo VESPA to show his love for his scooters. His whole life revolves around Vespas and he owns about 10 (I think). He can build them up from the ground and he is the go-to repair guy in his scooter club. Anyway, it’s great that we were able to share our first tattoo memories together.

10 years later and I think my tattoo still looks great. I have no interest in getting it touched up because it is still vibrant and clear. One day I might have to get it touched up, but for now I am happy as a clam πŸ™‚ I have no plans to get any more tattoos currently. I had thought about a tiny wrist tattoo, but I haven’t been able to decide on a definite design so that is on the back burner for the time being.

Do you have any tattoos and what’s the story behind them?

Filed under: Personal
Tags: , , , ,

6 Responses to “10 years ago”

August 18, 2014 @ 8:57 pm

I so want to get a tattoo but am afraid that I will back out of it within the first few minutes. Maybe someday! You’re tattoo still looks so good even after 10 years!

August 19, 2014 @ 8:35 am

I don’t have any tattoos mainly because I haven’t 100% decided on any. I’ve been thinking about it though!

August 19, 2014 @ 11:32 pm

That’s cool that your dad let you get a tattoo and then he got one for himself later πŸ™‚ I like the tattoo you chose! That’s great that it’s still vibrant too. I know a lot of people who have to get their tattoos touched up.

I’ve been wanting a tattoo for a while now, a small one as well. I’ve been tossing around a few ideas like my Chinese name or the Triforce from the Legend of Zelda games or the N7 symbol from the Mass Effect games. Maybe one day I’ll actually get it done!

• Emmy
    August 20, 2014 @ 7:26 pm

Yeah tattoos! I love my Les Mis quote on my arm and my Harry Potter on my ankle. They suit me perfectly!

• Kirsten
    August 21, 2014 @ 7:34 pm

I your tattoo and being a Canadian I have thought about getting a maple leaf somewhere but have not done it.

In fact I have no tattoos at all. I am really wanting one though, and this post gave me inspiration for a post myself tomorrow so thanks!

The tattoo I want is on my outer leg between my ankle and knee. I want a cherry blossom vine curling up a bit and I want a (or a few) dragonflies.

I have found some inspiration on pinterest (hence the post idea) but have not decided on anything yet. I might reach out to a tattoo artist friend of mine in Calgary for a suggestion of someone down here that is good.

August 22, 2014 @ 4:50 pm

very tasteful and very you πŸ™‚
    I don’t think I’d ever get a tattoo. I don’t think there’s anything I would want permanently on my body. Maybe for like a year or something, but forever, nah