Chicken Fajita Lasagna
If you are looking for a little change to boring old lasagna, this is the one for you, with a Mexican twist.
This recipe makes 8 servings.
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2lb (500g) chicken breast, skinless, boneless and sliced
- 1 each red and green peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2ml) each salt, pepper, ground cumin and dried oregano
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups salsa (or 2 1/2 cups pasta sauce and 1 1/2 cups salsa)
- 12 pre-cooked lasagna noodles
- 2 cups mexican blend cheese or cheddar, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F. Heat oil in a non-stick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium high and add the chicken. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Add the peppers and continue to cook, stirring often, for 3-5 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are browned.
- Stir in chili powder, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, chipotle pepper (if using) and garlic.
- If using pasta sauce, mix it together with the salsa. Stir 2 cups sauce into the meat mixture.
- Spread approximately half the remaining sauce over the bottom of a 3L lasagna pan. Top with 3 noodles. Spoon over one third of the meat mixture. Repeat twice and top with last three noodles. Pour remaining sauce evenly over top. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45-55 minutes. Remove cover and broil for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Did you make this recipe? What did you think?