One of my favourite things to make these days are Greek pita wraps. They’ve become a regular dish that I have inserted into our meal plans.
I grab a nice flank steak from the grocery store and slice it as thinly as I can. Then I use a yogurt marinade for the meat and instead of pita bread, I use a naan style bread. I don’t bother trying to make my own tzatziki because I don’t have time for that. Plus, store bought stuff is tasty enough for Peter and I.
I don’t really measure my ingredients for anything, but I do use Rachael Ray’s recipe for Greek salad as a guideline of what to put into my salad. So the recipe below is very forgiving and please don’t feel like you need to follow exact measurements. I also like my Greek salad to be less chunky, so I cut my veggies pretty small.
Greek Pita Wraps
Makes 4 servings
- 4 naan bread pitas
- 1lb flank steak, sliced thinly along the grain
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Juice and zest of two lemons
- 1/4 cup & 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp pepperoncini juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- Pinch each of salt & pepper
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 bell pepper, any colour, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dark greens, any variety (romaine, etc), coarsely chopped
- 1 big ole chunk of feta cheese (1/2 cup maybe), crumbled
- Any variety of tzatziki
- To make marinade, combine yogurt, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 the oregano, juice/zest of 1 lemon and 2 tbsp olive oil. Mix well and add beef. Marinate at least 30 minutes.
- To make dressing, combine the remaining juice/zest of 1 lemon, garlic, pepperoncini juice, honey, oregano, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- To make the salad, combine all remaining ingredients (except tzatziki and naan) together and toss with the dressing.
- Heat a pan on medium heat and cook beef for 2-4 minutes until most pink is gone. Remove from heat.
- Heat another pan over medium heat and add the naan bread, one at a time, for 30 seconds per side to heat through.
- To assemble pita, pile your desired amount of beef, Greek salad and tzatziki on the naan. Wrap that sucker up and enjoy! Goes great with a glass of sangria!!